It’s JulEYE! And it is time we start protecting our eyes.
JulEYE is an annual campaign designed to raise awareness and protect our eyes from preventable eye diseases.
Did you know 75% of vision loss is preventable or treatable if detected early enough, yet every 65 minutes an Australian loses part or all their vision?!!
Protecting our eyes isn’t hard, remember these simple tips and you’ll have good vision for life.
- Have regular eye examinations: Vision-threatening eye diseases are more easily and successfully treated if diagnosed early. Early detection now will prevent vision loss later.
- Eat right for good sight: What we eat affects our bodies in both good and bad ways… and this directly impacts our eyes as well. A healthy diet full of anti-oxidants, leafy greens and omega-3s will decrease your risk of developing eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration later in life.
- Wear your sunglasses: As we all know, UV radiation can be very harmful. Over time, excessive UV exposure without the right protection can cause serious or permanent eye damage such as cataracts, pterygium, and skin cancer of the eyelids.
- Wear your safety spectacles: 30% of all eye injuries occur in the domestic setting. These can arise from performing DIY projects, car repairs and gardening. All of these injuries can simply be prevented by wearing appropriate eye protection.
- Stop smoking: It is commonly known that smoking causes heart disease and lung cancer but it can also lead to vision loss. Studies show smoking increases the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and dry eye syndrome.
Prevention and early detection through regular eye examinations will help preserve your vision!